Dr. Sawsan Taha has worked in wide range of roles in the media field for the past 21 years, including being a university lecturer, media consultant, trainer, researcher, media projects manager with years of experience as a broadcasting journalist in the MENA region.
She has been working in academia teaching media and communication for the past ten years, and have delivered lectures across different institutes and universities as a visiting lecturer.
She is currently appointed as an Assistant Professor at the Collage of Media and Communication at Alain University in UAE, where she teaches at undergraduate levels, contribute to collage strategic areas and activities in addition of participating in the college administrative duties.
Dr. Sawsan’s involvement in academia and public engagement are closely linked. She encourages her students to become “professional journalists and communicators”, who acknowledge their duties and responsibilities to their societies.
PhD degree in Screening Media Studies. Brunel University London.UK
Master degree in International Political Studies. Birzeit University. Palestine
BA in Broadcasting Media (TV and Radio production) from Birzeit university Palestine
Dr. Sawsan research area focused on the Arab Media and politics, and her previous research explained the varying role of the Arab news media in wartime with more attention to the representations of news reporting. With a broader understanding, and general themes about the on-going interactions between the Arab governance and media outlets, and the ways in which this relation can change over time and circumstance.
Her current research involves the Arab media and gender equality during Covid 19 where she investigates the challenges faced women journalists during the pandemic increased iniquity for women’s health and safety risks during reporting on Covid19.
Media Participation During Covid 19 Pandemic. Virtual Conference. Thomson Foundation, London 2020.
Transformation to Digital Media in Palestine, Virtual conference. 2019.
Arab Media and Political conflicts, Brunel University Annual Student conference. 2015.
Arab Media and the Palestinian Internal Conflict, Arab British Society Conference 2016.
Arab Broadcasting Media and the Arab spring, the Saudi students club 2013.
Media and Refugees Studies, League of Arab State in Egypt. 2006
2020-2021: Researcher and Media Consultant. (Consultancy Positions)
- Consultant for research projects related to the Middle East.
- Provide high quality of social science research both quantitative and qualitative.
- Facilitate and run training courses and research activities both face to face and online.
- Provide Monitoring and Evaluation for research projects.
- Research proposals and reports design and writing.
- Supervisor and academic advisor for postgraduate student’s projects.
2018-2020: Visiting Lecturer at the Departments of Media and Communications at the Arab American University and the Institute for Media Studies at Al-Quds University in Palestine.
- Lecturer in Mass Media (TV and Radio) for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Academic advisor for courses design and curriculum development in Mass Media (TV and Radio Journalism)
- Provide support and evaluation for research activities.
- Examiner and evaluator for students’ research projects.
2014- 2020: Consultant and Researcher at Thomson Foundation ( Part Time). London UK
- Facilitate and run media training programs for the GCC.
- Media Trainer in TV and Radio production, news reporting and storytelling.
- Developed and maintained relationships with new and existing clients.
- Conduct training needs assessment for project’s start-ups.
- Media researcher on Arab media, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Assist with the Monitoring and Evaluation process for the training courses.
2016– 2017: Media Coordinator and Academic Advisor at the London Training of Excellence. London, UK
- Managing media research for various organizations.
- Provide Academic consultancy and advice for students from the Middle East.
- Provide support and strategic communications for projects related to the Middle East.
- Run and facilitate training projects, media research, communications and radio journalism.
- Trainer in Radio Journalism, Conflict reporting and Storytelling.
2013-2017: PhD Researcher and Professor Assistant at the Department of Media and Communions at Brunel University London, UK.
- PhD Researcher in Arab media and internal conflicts.
- Representative of the PhD students.
- Teaching assistant in radio journalism, media research methodology and international journalism.
- Evaluate and grade student’s assignments and papers.
- Initiate, facilitate and moderate classroom discussions.
- Academic advisor for new postgraduate students from the Middle East.
2012-2014: Project Manager and Leading Trainer at Crisis Projects. London, UK
- Project manager and consultant for the Syrian training program.
- Provide and manage the external communications for the training projects.
- Networking with Arab and foreign journalists and with local and international media organizations in the MENA region.
- Consultant for projects in Palestine, Jordan, Libya, Iraq and Egypt.
- Providing support to local media organisations in the Arab world for media project activities.
2008- 2009: Assistant Director and Researcher at the Institute for International Political Studies at Birzet University, Palestine
- Organize local and international seminars, conferences and workshops sponsored by the Institute.
- Researcher in Media and Refugees Studies.
- Manage the Institute internal and external communications.
- Coordinator for institutes publications; books and academic papers.
2002-2006: Lecturer at the Media Institute at Birzet University, Palestine
- Lecturer in Mass Media including TV and Radio Investigative Journalism, news reporting and storytelling, Radio Production.
- Academic Adviser for undergraduate students.
- Assist in the monitoring and evaluation process for the department.
- Organized seminars, international conferences and workshops.
- Represented the institute in local and international events.
2001-2009: Broadcast Journalist at the Palestinian Broadcasting Cooperation – Palestine. In Palestine TV:
- Ø TV news presenter.
- Ø News correspondent.
- Ø Editor.
In Voice of Palestine radio:
- Radio Presenter.
Introduction to Mass Media and Communication
Introduction to Traditional and Digital Journalism
Media and Sensitive Reporting
TV and Radio News Production
Journalism Layout and Design
Art of Diction
Digital Media Campaign
Radio Investigation and Storytelling.
Member of the Palestinian Journalist Syndicate in Palestine.
Member of Thomson Foundation Consultant Board in London.
Member of the Arab British Scarcity in London