Roles and responsibilities
Responsibility for staff development rests at three levels: the University, the college or department and the individual.
The University will provide support for identified professional development needs through the provision of a Professional Development Unit. This unit will:
- support excellence in professional practice at AAU through the provision of professional, vocational and management development activities and by contributing to policy development;
- be aware of and responsive to the needs of the wider University through working in partnership with its professional services;
- provide a service to all faculty staff of the University to adopt a research-informed teaching approach to its work;
- work closely with the range of providers of learning and development within the University to ensure that provision is aligned, coherent and comprehensive;
- be responsible for professional development in support for the University’s Performance Development Review process;
- benchmark development provision against the sector and good practice elsewhere, working in partnership with relevant external agencies (e.g. Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), the Higher Education Academy (HEA));
- in collaboration with Equality and Diversity, examine and contribute to the career development of specific groups and in particular those which are identifiably disadvantaged and/or under-represented.